The holidays are approaching and it may seem like everyone’s cuddled up to someone. The holidays can be tough and feel a little more lonely. Are you dreading the holiday family dinner with Aunt Martha asking why you’re still single? Besides keeping a secret stash of wine to help you get through the family holiday I’ve come up with a few Thanksgiving survival tips. Not only will you survive the holiday but you can also find ways to enjoy it!
Here’s 5 ways you can spice up your Thanksgiving:
- Go on a trip to a favorite destination or mark one off your bucket list. Traveling is good for the soul and opens you to new experiences. This is a great time to meet new people, experience new cultures and focus on you. Think Eat, Pray, Love.
- Plan a Friendsgiving. Host a thanksgiving dinner party for your friends. Have each person bring their favorite dish, play games, and celebrate why you’re grateful for each other.
- Plan a family game day. Keep the atmosphere positive and away from the “why are you single?” questions. Play charades, a game of football or something to get the whole family involved. When there’s lots of laughter and activity there’s no time for questions from your aunt Martha or grandma.
- Volunteer. What better way to spend Thanksgiving than helping others? Food kitchens are often open on Thanksgiving day. The simple act of giving back to others will you cheer up you and the people you are helping. It will also give you a fresh perspective on how much you have to be grateful for.
- Journal. Before heading to the family dinner take a moment to yourself. Journal about things you’re grateful for and write affirmations about how great YOU are! The single life is just a journey to finding your “one.” So don’t forget to spend time celebrating you.
Whatever you plan this Thanksgiving use this time to reflect on all you have to be grateful for in this moment. Practice tons of self love and be optimistic about what the future holds for you. Surround yourself with people who will uplift, encourage you and bring you lots of laughter. This is only one chapter of your story to finding the one, make it one of the best chapters of your life!